   Re: Success factors for the Web and Semantic Web

  • From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
  • To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:40:14 +0000

> So are you saying that it is very unlikely for _any_ two people to
> use the same Zip-Code to URL scheme?  I must still be
> misunderstanding you.

I'm saying that there is no way to definitively assert how many digits
there are in a zip code. One Schema's word is as good as anothers.

> > RDF that will require additional structres not set out in the Model and
> > Syntax spec, i.e. structures provided by XML Schema.
>
> So is RDF using RDF schemas "extended RDF"?

No, note I used "i.e." XML Schemas :-)

> You might want to look at Dan Connolly's work in the same area
> (XHTML -> RDF).  He has some great stuff
> And you really should just check out
>         http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

Believe me, I've seen all of this stuff. I could probably recite it for
you! Of course other people may not have done, so the links are useful
(thank you).

> > Stuff like Blogspace but in RDF. http://www.blogspace.com/ c.f. FRED
> > http://infomesh.net/sbp/#fred
>
> I'll have a look.  Could this be similar to the demo right on Connolly's
> home page?

No. I have done something like that though (that works for any XHTML page)
http://www.mysterylights.com/xhtmltordf/
Also c.f. my SW Demo: http://infomesh.net/swdemo/ Note that both of these
examples use the W3C's Xalan servers which often go down.

Excellent! Try: http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/ and
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic.html

> But I thought your list was prerequisites for, not uses of the SW.
> Perhaps I misunderstand you again.

If we are aiming for a Semantic Web that we want to use, we may as well
list what we want to use it for and aim or that for the time being.

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://infomesh.net/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.