   Re: local, global (was various ontology, RDF, topic maps)

  • From: "Thomas B. Passin" <tpassin@home.com>
  • To: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>, XML DEV <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:45:50 -0500

W. E. Perry and
 Uche Ogbuji wrote about re-inventing the wheel.

Perry:
> So yes, Uche, I unquestionably prefer choice one over choice two. Choice one
responds
> to each new problem (indeed, where necessary each new instance of each new
problem)
> with the advantages of adaptation at the level of each node as well as at
the level
> of the overall order of process, which defines the system as a whole. Choice
two
> relies on the authoritative fiat of a canonical solution. Whence derives
this
> authority? I dunno. In the case of choice one, the authority is qui fit--it
derives
> from the adaptable node within the adaptable system responding successfully
to the
> new and unexpected problem as it is encountered.

Come on, guys, both ways are needed and I bet both of you really think that
way, too.  Some things need group or organizational solutions, some are better
done individually or on a small scale - even if the wheel get reinvented from
time to time.  The balance constantly shifts.

For the car example, most of us couldn't afford a car if it were individually
designed and build.  And we wouldn't have any roads.  And you couldn'd drive
anyone else's car. without training.  The way the subject of this list may fit
in to this is the possibility  of changes in the balance - of loosening up the
way organizations work.

Cheers,

Tom P