   Re: RDF vs. SOAP serialization (oh yeah, and XMI and XTM)

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:19:55 -0800

>>I don't think that XML-RPC is really in the running -- I'd suggest that
the main candidates for a general-purpose XML data format right now are RDF
and SOAP (as Dave mentions), with XMI and XTM running a very, very distant
third.

Double-click on: "I don't think that XML-RPC is really in the running."

Take another look. Lots of new environments, Flash, Jabber, C, are coming
online. The Perl community is catching on, Python is already deep in there.
Its serialization format is probably a bit more LCD [1] for the big
environments.

But I like SOAP fine, and think it's clearly the popular choice re RDF. But
of course UserLand has a big investment in SOAP, and are still scratching
our heads about RDF. A conflict of interest, so ymmv.

Dave

[1] LCD == Lowest Common Denominator