   Re: RDF vs. SOAP serialization (oh yeah, and XMI and XTM)

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: Michael Fitzgerald <mike@wyeast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:50:54 -0700 (MST)

> So when you say "protocol," are you referring to the SOAP
> Envelope/Header/Body rather than transport protocols such as HTTP and SMTP?

When you say "HTTP and SMTP", you don't mean them to be transport
protocols such as TCP, do you?  When you say "TCP", you don't mean it to
be a transport protocol such as "IP", do you?  When you say "IP"...

Come on.  One man's OSI level 3 is another's OSI level 5.  Does CORBA'a
CosEvents systems really occupy the same network layer as CORBA's
CosNotification?

SOAP is a transport protocol, regardless of the fact that it is layered on
top of other technologies that are also called "transport protocols".

> And when you say "data serialization," are you referring to the encoding
> schema http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/ alone?

What else?  David can speak for himself, but my opinion is that SOAP
should not have defined the Envelope/Header/Body, and then kicked in a
full spec for the format for that body.  The latter should have been the
subject of another spec.

Note that RDF made the same error when conflating abstract model and
serialization syntax.  I guess it's not unusual for standards-makers to
try to fit the whole world into a kernel.