   Re: simple question on namespaces.

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:16:43 -0800

What particular place in that document answers to my question ?

The only sentence which seems relevant is :

<q>
[Definition:] The attribute's value, a URI reference, is the namespace name identifying
the namespace. The namespace name, to serve its intended purpose, should have the
characteristics of uniqueness and persistence. It is not a goal that it be directly usable
for retrieval of a schema (if any exists). An example of a syntax that is designed with
these goals in mind is that for Uniform Resource Names [RFC2141]. However, it should be
noted that ordinary URLs can be managed in such a way as to achieve these same goals.
</q>

Why namespace looks exactly like URL when it is in fact  not ?
Just to confuse people, right ?

I think that

xmlns:xsl="www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"

Is better design than