   Re: Content negotation in namespace URI resolution was RE: Treaty ofWula

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>,Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:35:04 -0800

At 11:52 AM 28/12/00 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:

>        Content negotiation has been suggested. Personally I think it is a good
>idea because the responsibility for how semantics are applied lies with the
>user agent.

I used to believe this, but I think that in practice it unfortunately
doesn't work.  Reason is that content-negotiation dispatches on
media type, and I can easily imagine a case where I have several
different resources of the same media type that might apply.  E.g.
I might have an authoring-time, an auditing-time, and an execution-time
XSD.  XHTML has at least 3 DTDs.  Sigh. -Tim