   Re: Bring back src? (was Re: simple question on namespaces.)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:12:06 -0500

At 06:56 PM 12/29/00 +0000, Dan Brickley wrote:
>...whatever. Point being that 'src' (FWIW I prefer 'seeAlso') is just a
>(rather boring) bit of meta-information about the namespace whose
>identifier is 'http://example.com/xmlns/myvocab', and that there are
>many other things one might want to say about that NS without having to
>burden one's instance data with that info.

seeAlso would do fine - the point would simply be that there _should_ be
something retrievable at that location, independent of whether or not the
namespace URI can be resolved to some resource body.  It would take a huge
philosophical load off the back of namespace identifiers, and might be
worth the small extra burden imposed on the instance data.  I don't see any
way to accomplish that without infrastructure which doesn't exist today
(DDDS, etc.) or without establishing a 'meaning' involving dereferencing
namespace URIs.

Maybe it's time to accept worse is better so that we can get on with real
work instead of looking over our backs all the time.

>Or maybe we could better argue about the properties of namespaces
>(seeAlso, publisher etc), rather than about the places in
>XML documents where we expect to find that information...

If you're actually looking forward to the next 20,000 messages on what
namespace URIs mean, it might be a fun argument.

The only people I think are looking forward to the argument are those who
expect to win it, and I'd suggest that any expectation of 'winning' in this
situation is delusional at best.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML