   Re: Begging the Question

  • From: Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
  • To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>,Joe English <jenglish@flightlab.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 10:39:08 +0000

> > Most of the unfulfilling argument surrounding it springs from the
> > assumption that, since namespace names *look* like URLs, they should
*act*
> > like URLs -- that is, that one should be able to to point a Web Browser
> > at them and retrieve something useful since they look like something one
> > might point a Web Browser at.  This assumption, while not unreasonable,
> > is explicitly disclaimed by the namespaces spec.
>
> Really?  Where?

Section 2[1] says:

'The namespace name, to serve its intended purpose, should have the
characteristics of uniqueness and persistence. It is not a goal that it be
directly usable for retrieval of a schema (if any exists).'

I note from this that it only mentions retrieval of schemata but maybe it is
reasonable to extend the meaning of the statement to cover all resource
types.

Whether this is the 'explicit disclaimer' that Jonathan meant only he can
confirm or deny.

Martin Gudgin
DevelopMentor

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml-names/#ns-decl