   Re: Begging the Question (the novel)

  • From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
  • To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 11:35:06 -0700 (MST)

> 	"http://www.purl.org/...#Creator" What does this URI reference? It
> references the *concept* of the creator of the document. It is a pointer to
> a location on an abstract directed graph of URIs (and I would explain this
> by drawing circles and arrows).

I dunno.  RFC 2396 doesn't waste much time on abstractions.  Since it
seems to be back in fashion to knowingly quote from specs, here's what RFC
2396 has to say about the above URI

'The term "Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URI
that identify resources via a representation of their primary access
mechanism (e.g., their network "location"), rather than identifying
the resource by name or by some other attribute(s) of that resource.'

So I don't think that it identifies a concept.  I think it is
*supposed* to identify specific matter for retrieval from a network
location.  RDF M&S and others, myself included, are careless with this.

I hope you don't think I'm still splitting hairs.  We were talking
about didactic matters, and I think the one thing that makes URIs easy to
teach is that their most common manifestations have a concrete basis.