   Re: Begging the Question (the novel)

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:51:43 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>

> > "To dereference or not dereference: (it just) doesn't matter"
> > is ... ahem ... strange statement.
>
> I take no responsibility for the "(it just)" part [Lisa added that] :-)
>
> Seriously though, how can it be a strange statement? Either something has a
> namespace that is just a name (like the ns spec. sets out), or it has one
> that is deferenencable for whatever purpose (as allowed by the ns spec.) -
> it doesn't matter which one as long as it is the one that meets your
> particular software's specific needs. If it is RDF, then it might want to
> dereference it. If it's XHTML, it won't. If it's XML Schema, it might do,
> and so on...

> I don't see the problem anymore...

I'l show you. ( In fact it has been described already
at the beginning of the thread. Sorry, but that's true. )

> > Namespaces shouldn't be dereferenced until theere is a
> > clear understanding  *how* should they be dereferenced.

> In a system x1, dereference the namespace accoroding to the specification
> x2. In an RDF system, dereference the ns and parse it as an RDF Schema. How
> is that not clear?

I have a

<Description xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"/>

It is a URL. There is a webserver running on another end.
The webserver receives a request for

http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#

What the webserver should return ?  RDF ? Schema ?

You're saying that :

when this request comes from 'RDF-based system',
server should return RDF

when the same request comes from "XSD-based system',
sever should return XSD

This requires "X-accept:" e t.c. stuff.

I'l tell you one thing. "X-accept:" will not work. It does not work already and
nobody cares. Those who've wrote at least one HTTP webserver in their life
should understand what I'm talking about. Those who have not wrote the
HTTP webserver, should read the HTTP specifications and then
ask me a particular question if  something in my statement is not clear.

Now what is your point? Build on  "X-accept:" ?

Rgds.Paul.

PS.

I should tell that I don't like the style you're quoting my letters.
Not a big deal, but there could be an impression that I'm sometimes
making incorrect statements. ( This is not good. As we all should
know - I'm always right and when I'm not - I confess it on the list ;-)

Really - nothing personal, please, I just don't want to look wrong
for repeating your words.  Could you please quote a bit more
accurate ?

I'm talking about :