   Re: Begging the Question

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 13:32:05 -0800

At 07:48 AM 30/12/00 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>Bingo!  That's why we need to agree on the next layer (i.e. the data
>layer), whether it be RDF, SOAP's serialization syntax, XTM, or
>something else.  That's where humans will encode their assumptions of
>meaning in ways that are not specific to single vocabularies.

Actually, I think that once you've figured out how to name
data objects, the door opens to a bunch of things, including
stylesheet directives, java classes, perl packages, schemas of
various media types and degrees of stringency, human-readable
documentation, you name it.  All of which are at some level
"semantics" - but I don't believe for a second that the world
is going to converge on any one way of expressing them. -Tim