Re: Wasting half a trillion dollars?

Stuart,
    One thing I did not mention in my post is HTML, and that is probably
what is causing confusion. Here it goes:
1. I think standard HTML is not usable for application development.
2. Data has to be separated from the presentation on the client - not on
ASP/JSP/Server layer to allow for true application programming
3. New set of rich databound controls has to be introduced and used by
application developers.
It has been a while since I used pure HTML. I could not agree more that
inventors of <FORM> and <FRAME> tags never thought of application
development. However, it has been 10 years, and unless your requirements
include servicing users with Netscape and Opera, you CAN consider browser
for application development.
IE5+ offers behaviors - i.e. custom controls to be packaged as custom tags.
With the advent of their special case of fully encapsulated elements
(viewLinks) you can pretty much close the gap between DHTML and Smalltalk,
PowerBuilder or VisualBasic. What is missing at this point on the market is
a true WYSIWUG designer that would allow you to "plug" custom controls.
XML-based technologies is much better fitted for ever evolving data storage,
manipulation and communicalion of business object model. Complemented with
client-side transform and databinding with custom controls it offers
superior development environment over flat dataset in VB
That said, browser-based technologies offer one real benefit over
conventional client-server. Development process naturally breaks
applications in independent, distributed processes. Remote scripting becomes
natural, and, hopefully, mixture of SOAP and security protocol produces
"secure enough" solution for business Internet.

As far as current, publicly accessible crop of web applications goes, they
are not utilizing the technology/approach described. The closest ones you
should be able to get on your desktop would be Excel for Web(Office 2000) or
Microsoft Investor(www). Please export Excel page as "interactive html page"
and take a look at the "HTML" source.

Thank you for your  input,
Anatole Tartakovsky