RE: XML Schema becomes a W3C Recommendation

True, but timing has a lot to do with when something
takes off like a rocket.  The momentum
to get XML 1.0 done was built up over a period
of time among people who well understood
what SGML did and mostly were learning
hypertext and others who knew both but
had to wait until the momentum was there,
then had to ditch well-developed work to
ride the wave.   It is not unlike what
is about to happen in VRML and probably
will happen as XMI, RDF and other
SemanticWebish things battle for position.

Someone eventually figures out the
lowest common denominator and does
that, gives it to the unwashed,
then all of the former scoundrels and
rebels find themselves being the "establishment"
defending the status quo.

Simple comparisons of XML 1.0 and
XML Schemas origins just don't
work for making predictions.  XML Schemas
ARE tough to do for lots of reasons, some
having nothing to do with the language
design itself.    Yet, schemas are
workable expressions for contract
communications and I think they have a
purpose there.  This *will* be an interesting
test of W3C clout.

For something to take off, the market has
to be ready for it and some niche
community has to have it ready.  See
Von Braun and the Moon Race.  See SGML
and the WWW.  In both cases, a niche
group had a technology that a public
group needed right when it was needed.
Chasm crossing requires bridge builders
who first know how to descend and climb
cliffs with heavy loads on their backs.
They don't credit the bridge designer;
they credit the senator who got the funding.

"Eat a peach" as the poet wrote.

The danger for schemas?  In my opinion, stated before,
the more features one adds to make a data
object declaration language work or feel
like an object-oriented programming language,
the more one has screwed the markup pooch.
Leave programming to programming languages.
Keep semantics OUT of the markup.

But I welcome the announcement.  It is time
to do some work in non-W3C, non-standard,
just business domains and we needed this
piece.

"Thanks for all the fish."

Len

http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard