Re: using namespaces to version

This is just a side point, but DTD's do contain sufficient information
to "support namespaces in their full generality". Note please an earlier
message in this thread (http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200105/msg00112.html).

It is possible to propagate namespace constraints within a DTD according
to rules analogous to those which the namespace recommendation specified
for names within the document entity so long as the same literal
qualified name does not appear more than once in the same external
entity. It is conceivable to establish scoping rules which would cover
those cases as well, but that does not seem necessary.