RE: NPR, Godel, Semantic Web

At 11:14 AM 5/7/01 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>The semantic web doesn't trip on godel or
>incompleteness.   It trips on authority.

It may well trip on authority, but this claim suggests that it also trips
on inherent limitations of logical processing.

>The crockness of it isn't the doability;
>it is the need to do it now.  Good
>topic for research, good topic for
>discussion; perhaps not the initiative
>by which all other tasks before the
>W3C et al should be measured or circumscribed.

I've got to agree with that, though the Semantic Web does strike me as a
better yardstick (less likely to lead to horrible designs) than some of the
other possibilities.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly & Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML