XML on OS/390

Title: XML on OS/390

We are looking at implementing the usage of XML in our systems and since
most of our legacy data and applications (written mostly in COBOL) are on
an OS/390 platform, we need to move data from it to an NT box (and
eventually to partners).

On the NT side we plan to use MSXML 3.0 from Microsoft since it's the most
advanced in terms of stability and conformance with the W3C standards
(XML, DTD, XSL).  But on the OS/390 side the solutions seems not so
trivial.

We plan to use the XMLife vocabulary (developed by ACORD) and we have
these solutions in mind and I would like to know your comments about them
and your recommendations :

1. Create XML files directly from a COBOL application (it is simple and
easy, but it is difficult to ensure the validity of the XML generated
according to a DTD).
2. Use the XML4COBOL parser/generator product (from MAAS) (we don't know
if it complies with the W3C DOM specifications and if it is easy to use).
3. Install JAVA on the OS/390 to have access to the myriad of XML tools
available on this platform (we don't have any JAVA expertise, but it could
allow us to concentrate more on business logic than on the creation of XML
files).
4. Convert the data from the OS/390 to XML on the NT platform (we are
limiting the benefits of using XML, since we cannot send an XML file
directly from the OS/390 to our partners, we must convert them on NT box
before).

What do you think of these solutions ? Am I missing something ?  Which is
our best choice considering we have a considerable amount of data and
applications on OS/390 ?

Charles Giguère (charles.giguere@inalco.com)
Architecte des Systèmes / Systems Architect
Industrielle Alliance - Siège Social / Head Office
(418) 684-5000 ext. 4631