RE: NPR, Godel, Semantic Web

Thanks Jay!

Here are the paragraphs I would appreciate
some elaboration on, perhaps and particularly,
"a system of sterotypes".

"Without a system of stereotypes ("for any" and "there
always exists") to help us draw conclusions, a logic
is only a brute force search algorithm on data. We
failed to find a magic."

"The Semantic Web could hit the wall of Goedel if it
attempts to get meta-conclusions. Without
meta-conclusions to work on, are we looking at a
data search framework on the Web? In that case,
inefficiency of formal deduction is an issue."

I ask because in the HumanML noodling, the concept of stereotyping
has come up and I am wondering if there is a
common or hidden coupling in the Godel problem
and the problems of classifying human communication
characteristics.

I'm going off topic a bit... put on wellios and
please forgive my imprecision.

We can only create stereotypical
human models, not model humans.  Why?  We can't
model a human's free will.  Much about human behavior, say
emotions, remains a black box.  Yes, we can
create a axioms for emotional relationships, and even
simulate dynamism through event routing, but really
we are just simulating, or building golems.

For interpretation, the best we get is an analogical
protocol (for example, emotions with intensity scales)
that let's us make best guesses that
we can then check against the currently accepted
facts or tropic intents.   We can define cultures in terms of the
current genres and expressive tropes, but we can
only reason about the model and then trust the
human observer to react appropriately.  It is a
little like stand up comedy and for many of the
same reasons.

On the next level, agents can use the semantic
web databases and do limited axiomatic reasoning.
When coupled to the emotional nodes, the agent
might do some surprising things.  It doesn't
escape the system of axioms, but the use of the
analogical scales can make it "personable and
surprising" not because the facts in the database
are wrong, but because it doesn't react logically.

So, perhaps the semantic web with its first layer
of logical assertion is only a piece, a support
layer for the agents.  It is a knowledge base
and the Godel dilemma if real is not nearly as
interesting as what happens when coupled to
semi-autonomous agents capable of cultural inference.

len
clbullar@ingr.com
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.