RE: First Order Logic and Semantic Web

Many postings in the NPR thread have adequately shown that the Goedel Incompleteness Theorem is inapplicable to a system that is _not_ consistent and, therefore, _cannot_ be used as a basis for deducing new facts.  If I understand it right, the GIT itself, if fact, points this out.

All the same, I am curious how the proponents of the Semantic Web expect the pieces to "layer up."  I think of it this way.  There are many intermediate milestones to be reached before such dynamic associativity (as the SW calls for) can be made to consistently yield useful results.

      goal-oriented knowledge acquisition
              meta-knowledge bases
                  knowledge bases
                shared vocabularies
      documents + databases + metadata

Standard vertical vocabularies come to mind.  Note that work on many such vocabularies predates any XML based efforts by some years (e.g. UN/EDIFACT, vertical E-R models). Some of these are probably very useful and do, in fact, promote inter-operability between trading partners' systems. After vocabularies, we'll await the development and public deployment of controlled, domain-specific knowledge bases (i.e. expert systems). Once such things become the norm, then you might find ways to meaningfully add-on a meta-layer over such systems that let you dynamically perform inter-domain inferences.   Things will get really interesting when such inference systems can acquire knowledge (from other available systems) in a goal-oriented fashion. I.e. knowledge acquisition bots.  Publicly available knowledge bases might be the search engines of the future.

In this scenario, one could see proof engines operating on known-consistent KBs.  The RDF metadata I keep hearing about is early stage stuff (at the proto-vocabulary level) and is hard enough to keep accurate and up to date all by itself.  OTOH, most of the necessary parts are available today.   As always, the greatest hurdles are organizational, financial, cultural, usefulness, data quality, etc., etc.  A great many more systems are possible than actually get built.

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel

take it easy,
Charles Reitzel