RE: DTD's

I strongly second this.

Just because you have a DTD, doesn't mean you have to use the DTD in any of
your software.

When people ask you about the grammer for your XML, instead of sending them
your software design documents, or waving your hands and making a specch,
you can just send them the DTD.

It gives you license to yell at your developers if they produce XML that
doesn't conform to the DTD: "Either fix the code or fix the DTD".

Even if DTDs cannot capture the true sematics and constraints or your
application, you can almost always construct a DTD that validates a superset
of your intended documents, and include comments describing what you really
mean.

For an example of this, take a look at the DTD I wrote for OPML:

http://static.userland.com/gems/radiodiscuss/opmlDtd.txt

DTDs are well-understood, and you CAN use it in software processes, if you
want.

Sandra:
   What are the arguments AGAINST creating a DTD in your case?

-Wayne Steele