Re: RELAX Core has been approved. as ISO Technical Report

Tim Bray wrote:

> For those of us who are not erudite as to ISO process, does
> this mean that soon we will be able to refer to RELAX as
> "an ISO Standard"? -Tim

ISO Technical Reports are not ISO Standards.  I think that
"an ISO specification" is appropriate.

The foreword (see below) explains technical reports.   Since
fast-track submissions always become type 3, RELAX Core is type 3.

Cheers,

Makoto

ISO (the International Organization for Standardization) and IEC (the
International Electrotechnical Committee) together form a system for
worldwide standardization as a whole. National bodies that are members
of ISO or IEC participate in the development of International Standards
through technical committees established by the respective organizations
to deal with particular fields of technical activity. ISO and IEC
technical committees collaborate in fields of mutual interest. Other
international organizations, governmental and non-governmental, in
liaison with ISO and IEC, also take part in the work.

In the field of information technology, ISO and IEC have established
a joint technical committee, ISO/IEC JTC1.

The main task of a technical committee is to prepare International
Standards but in exceptional circumstances, the publication of a technical
report of one of the following types may be proposed:

- type 1, when the necessary support within the technical committee
cannot be obtained for the publication of an International Standard,
despite repeated efforts;

- type 2, when the subject is still under technical development requiring
wider exposure;

- type 3, when a technical committee has collected data of a different
kind from that which is normally published as an International Standard
("state of the art",  for example).

Technical reports of types 1 and 2 are subject to review within three
years of publication, to decide whether they can be transformed into
International Standards. Technical reports of type 3 do not necessarily
have to be reviewed until data they provide are considered to be no
longer valid or useful.