RE: APIs, messaging

I would only give the added perspective that a data model, such as defined
by an XML Schema or SQL DDL, tends towards stability (the data model grows
[quickly], but the constraints, cardinalities, and types seem to stabilize
for those parts of the model that have been around for awhile). A lot of
APIs seem to outgrow their usefulness after  a few years in production.
Defining data models also tend to be more cut-and-dried than defining APIs,
which are more subjective.

My predilection for wanting subjective class hierarchies mapped to
relatively stable and objective data models seems to indicate that I've
settled in the second camp, below.