From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 3:18 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: Picking the Tools -- Marrying processing models to data
model s

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> The recipient is always the one whose semantic interpretation matters -
> unless, of course, they have a good reason ($$$, friendship,
> convenience) to adopt the semantics of the sender as their own.

This is not only true for XML, when we discuss together on xml-dev or in
"real" life, what makes the discussion interesting and enriching is that
we, as readers, do not apply exactly the same semantic than the writer
of a message.

One of the virtue of the late binding intrinsic to XML is that the same
principle applies to exchanges of documents: the receiver applies its
own semantic and processing.

This is enabling "intelligent" (and unexpected) processings of the
documents that lead to the creation of added value.

Receiver X can process the same document than receiver Y but make a
different usage and get more information or value from this document
than receiver Y.

This is true for XML 1.0, with or without DTD (I have heard, no later
than this morning, Ken Holman affirm that in XML, the semantic is
defined by the processing, not by the model).

While I can see some benefits for some applications to bring the
semantic back into the model, for instance through schema and schema
adjunct languages, I think that would also kill one of the most
fundamental strengths of the XML model.

My 0,02 Euros.

Eric
--