Re: 3 basic XML questions on: non-determism, reserved symbols,and xml:lang

Roger L. Costello wrote:

> However, my experience is that XML Parsers do not require >, ", or ' to
> be escaped.  Can someone please clarify what are the "reserved"
> symbols?  When do I need to escape >, ", and '?

& and < must be escaped in both character data and attribute values.
' must be escaped in an attribute value if the value is enclosed in 's.
" must be escaped in an attribute value if the value is enclosed in "s.
 > must be escaped in character data if the last two characters are ]].

> However, I have found that
> whenever xml:lang is used on an element it must be declared in the DTD.
> How can it be "standard" if it has to be declared?  I guess that
> "standard" does not mean "built-in"?

It is the meaning that is standardized.  You must still declare the
attribute.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com