Re: ASN.1 and XML

On 24 May 2001 16:03:06 +0100, Al B. Snell wrote:
> On 24 May 2001, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>
> > Admittedly that was a few years ago, but I can't say the stories I heard
> > left me quaking in fear that XML would be eclipsed by ASN.1 or that I
> > should go out and write ASN.1 books.  I'd be interested to hear from
> > people with more direct experience with the two technologies.
>
> I'd not interacted heavily with it until recently; my only experience of
> it was via SNMP, which uses ASN.1.
>
> Hrm... http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/ is a good URL to start learning from.

Thanks, but I can't say I'm especially interested in learning ASN.1 at
this point, beyond the fundamentals I explored previously.  Remember,
I've looked at it before and found it not especially useful.

You've been making claims that ASN.1 is competition for XML.  I'd like
to see some backing for those claims.