binaries

Hello,
  One of my developers requested that I figure out a way to read
  istream and ifstreams( C++ ).  I looked at the mail archives and
  was able to put something together from that.  However, he is also
  going to be mixing binary data with the xml stuff all in the same
  file.  Yeesh!  Anyway, he wants to be able to throw this thing
  into a stream and just have my code read the xml part.  He is also
  one of the folks who doesn't think we need a DTD.  My question is :

  (1) Does mixing the binary stuff in there put the file into the
      category of not being well-formed?
  (2) If (1) is true, is a DTD required for me to make the distinction?
Regards,
Sandra Carney