RE: what's a good conference this fall?

Joel,

I'm sorry that you feel the  GCA XML 2001 Conference will smell of big money
and graphic artists. I assure you that will not be the case. With Lauren
Wood serving as conference chair, Jon Bosak, and Michael Sperberg-McQueen on
the planning committee, the program will be of the highest quality
content.The conference is being re-formatted to include a number of "town
hall" meetings, providing opportunity for attendee participation in extended
sessions. Late-breaking technology sessions will highlight the latest
developments from the vendor community. And a number of other changes are
being instituted to enhance the event for both the developer and the user
community.

GCA is a non-profit organization, unlike most of the other organizations
running XML events. GCA is not an association of big money or graphic
artists, but rather the membership is made up of corporate publishers,
academic institutions, vendors, etc. The income from events does not go into
deep pockets, but rather back into the industry for development of standards
and specifications and support of a variety of industry initiatives.

I would suggest you take a look at the program in early September when it is
posted to the event web site: www.xmlconference.org

If you have any further questions, please contact me.

Marion Elledge