RE: Help: XML Schema - any element with fixed type?

A substitution group will allow you to define a set of elements that are
replacable for another element. The substitutable elements need to be of the
same type, or a derived type, of the element they're being substituted for.

If you want the type fixed, then you can use a 'final' type as the target(?)
element type, then any substitute elements would have to be of that type,
also.