RE: designers as users etc.

On 12 Jun 2001 09:24:21 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> I'm not sure what the conclusion here is:
>
> o Only programmers should use systems
> o Only users should program systems
>
> and then how that translates to XML where
>
> o Any one can write an instance
> o Only some programs can process some instances
>
> What is the point exactly?

The point is that bringing users closer to the design process can
improve the design on multiple levels.  Also, the value of iterative
development and maximum flexbility in the course of such design.

The claim that "only some programs can process some instances" is true
because we've let it be true.  On some levels - XML parsing - it's
largely false.  XML seems to me to be an opportunity to get beyond that
painfully narrow (but supposedly easy) vision of information processing.