Re: The Three Myths of XML

(not really directed at either Dave or Len)

Hi,

I do think that XML is not quite magic, but is important.

In a previous life I worked with astrophysicists.  The normal way
of doing the data processing for a telescope was to write your
own custom programs in what ever language (well, FORTRAN)
on what ever system you had to run on and writing your
data files as compactly as possible in binary.

That meant that when I wanted to read your dataI either
had to have the hardware, OS, and compiler you had or
I had a porting job ahead of me.

To solve this a standard was produced called FITS
(http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov) and while it didn't have the same
hype as XML (no money :-) it did polarize the community a bit.

Why?  Well, FITs files were bigger, and at the beginning the
libraries which read them made your programs bigger and slower
to run.  Some even claimed factors of 10 slowdowns.

The advantages?  The format worked on different systems and
with different hardware, it was paritally human readable, and
it was possible to write and then use general tools rather than having
to write a special tool for your specific data layout.

In the end FITS became more and more popular as systems sped
up, diskspace and memory got cheaper, libraries got faster, and
more and more folks had to keep data around longer and archives
got bigger.

XML has many of the same disadvantages and many of the same
advantages.  FITS didn't bring world peace and neither will
XML, but in both cases they were worth the time, slowdowns,
and effort.

cheers

bruce

----
Bruce O'Neel <beoneel@mindspring.com> -- XML and Squeak.
LWxml, a light weight XML parser in Squeak
XML Journal http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html