-----Original Message-----
From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]

They are therefore as good for W3C XML Schema as unparsed entities are
for DTDs :=) ...

Personally I have never seen them used except in Simon St.Laurent
"elements of style" (a book that I recommend not only for this example
;=) ) where he gives the following example that could be used with a W3C
XML Schema defining that the content attribute has a type "ENTITY":

<!DOCTYPE unparsed_image SYSTEM "unparsed_image.dtd" [
<!ENTITY myGif "mygif.gif" NDATA image_gif>
]>
<unparsed_image content="myGif"/>

Hope this helps.