RE: Escher could have drawn it (Re: XML Schema and Entities)

How does this work in practice? I am not very familiar with XML Schema.
Lets say somebodies intended XML structure is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<a>
	<b>
		<c />
	</b>
</a>

Does this mean that it is impossible to write a XML Schema where this
document would *not* be valid:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<b>
	<c />
</b>

I presume this is not the case, and that <b> and <c> can defined in such
a way that they can only occur in a certain context. In such a case, you
could deduce that <a> is the root element, even if it is not explicitly
marked as such. However, it may be the case that other elements, <x>,
and therefore there are 4 possible root elements for a schema valid
document. Is this the case?