RE: XML Blueberry

Title:

mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]
> Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 6:34 PM
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Subject: Re: XML Blueberry
>

> If you can show  that, then we can reasonably compare the costs and
> benefits of this proposal. But if you can't show that, then you're
> asking to impose very real costs on XML developers around the world
> for what may well prove to be an illusory benefit.

It seems as though you assume that XML is a given, and the rest of the world has little choice but to adapt itself to the XML Way. I'd reverse the equation: if XML imposes real costs on developers around the world, no matter what their language or platform, for what may prove to be an illusory benefit, it will be supplanted by something that has a better cost/benefit ratio.  At the moment, there may well be more native speakers of Khmer, Ahmaric, and Mongolian on the 'Net than there are XML developers. Granted, the use cases driving Blueberry are not likely to cause wholesale defection from the XML cause, but XML 1.0 is too young to ossify, and not well-established enough to take for granted.

Evolve or be displaced. As the bard put it, "he not busy bein' born is busy dyin'."