RE: Define a root in a DTD

Hello,

  I'm not sure you can do that using a DTD. In DTD all the XML elements
declarations are in a "global" scope, it means that virtually any of them can
be used as a root element in an instance XML document according to the DTD.

XML Schema allows you to define "local" elements to get this effect.

But you can give a try the XML Patterns at

http://www.xmlpatterns.com/categoryAllPatterns.shtml#DocumentRoots

Radovan