Re: XML and SGML

I am dismayed that I have apparently been so unclear to some.  Since this
question does come up in my classes, I suspect that there are probably a
number of newcomers to this list, and mark-up in general,  who really could
benefit from an authoritative reply.

I originally started to respond to Mr. Maden's points one by one, but I feel
that rather than waste bandwidth with my comments... I'll let Charles
Goldfarb summarize the situation.  The quote below is from the second edition
of the XML Handbook, page xlv in the preface.  I hope it is enlightening.

For those of you who do not know, Charles Goldfarb is the "father" of SGML
and has been a key player in the mark-up world.

"Some claim that XML will replace SGML because there will be so much free and
low-cost software.  Others assert that XML users, like HTML users before
them, will discover that they need more of SGML and will eventually migrate
to the full standard.

Both assertions are nonsense.. . XML and SGML don't even compete.

XML is a simplified subset of SGML.  The subsetting was optimized for the Web
environment, which implies data-processing-oriented (rather than
publishing-oriented), short life span (in fact, usually
dynamically-generated) information.  The vast majority of XML documents will
be created by computer programs and processed by other programs, then
destroyed.  No human will ever see them.

Eliot Kimber, who was a member of both the XML and SGML standards committees,
says:

There are certain use domains for which XML is simply not sufficient and
where you need the additional features of SGML.  These applications tend to
be very large scale and of long term; e.g., aircraft maintenance information,
government regulations, power plant information, etc. Any one of them a
larger volume of information than the entire use of XML on the web."

I hope this is useful to those of you who have been wondering.

Rod
Rod Davison @ Critical Knowledge Systems Inc
rdavison@sprint.ca

First things first -- but not necessarily in that order