Re: XML and unit testing

I'd recommend you look at Martin Fowler's excellent book, "Refactoring -
Improving the Design of Existing Code" (Addison-Wesley).  He has a lot of
good material on unit testing, including making objects self-testing by
including test() methods.  He does talk about using JUnit.

Basically, you can make a piece of code self-testing, or you can write test
wrappers to exercise it.  Either way, you want to make each test
self-checking, so you don't have to pore over printouts (which isn't that
reliable anyway).  That means you have to come up with a canonical, correct
result for each test that can in some way be checked automatically.  This is
more important, I would say, than which specific test harness you use and
exactly how it works.

There is a Python PyUnit, too.  I would imagine it would work with Jython as
well (don't know that for a fact, though).  That might make it quicker to
set up a test harness.

That DeltaXML tool (http://www.deltaxml.com) that was just announced on the
list might be useful for comparing two pieces of xml.  You could run it from
the command line or from java.

Cheers,

Tom P

[Simon St.Laurent]