Re: Document encodings

Yes. There are a succession of features looked at, one after another until a
fixed result is determined.

 1) EXTERNAL: Information sent in the MIME header
 2) BOM: Presence or absense of Byte Order Mark (BOM) which is a
Unicode signal that allows you to know if you are using
16 or 32 bit characters, and the "endianness"
 3) FAMILY SIGNATURE: Presence of expected codes at the beginning of the
file (enough to know whether 8 bit codes are used, and
if they are ASCII-based or EBCDIC-based) for "<?xml"
 4) ENCODING: knowing the family signature is enough to read
the encoding parameter of the XML header.
 5) DEFAULT: otherwise UTF-8 (which also encompasses ASCII)

The important thing is that this is not guesswork. There is no scope for
one parser determining one encoding and another parser determining another
encoding: all XML processors should be able to say "Yes I can handle this
entity" or "no I cannot handle this entity".

All processors are required to support UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings.

There are some character sets which have some instability about them:
see http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/  but this is an exception.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe