Re: SAX LexicalHandler::comment issue

On 06 Jul 2001 15:54:13 +0200, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:
> I've always been very curious to know what the rationale for that
> is. To me, a major part of what the infoset was supposed to be about
> was to draw the line between logically significant information and
> purely lexical information. The current version fails to achieve this.

Where exactly in XML 1.0 is the distinction between logical and lexical
information drawn?  I don't believe it really is, except as an
unfortunate side-effect of describing parsing in the same document which
describes syntax.

I can't say I trust anyone who talks about _the_ logical view of an XML
document - I don't believe any such thing exists in a general way.  At
best, there may be some consensus among data-oriented folks, but I don't
believe there is any general consensus about what always matters and
what always doesn't.

Is XML what goes into a parser or what comes out?  I used to argue for
blurring those two, but I'm leaning more and more toward XML being the
input, not the result of parsing.