Schema constraint

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to write a constraint with XML
Schema to enforce that for an element with two child elements at
least one of them exists? (I thought this had been asked before but
couldn't find it in the archives)

On a related note, why would somene choose to use <group>
rather than a complex type? I can't help but think I've missed
something as groups seem to be a limited (must be global, no
attributes) version of complex types.

TIA,

Phil Ruelle