-----Original Message-----
From: Simon "St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]

Recognize that most of the markup universe, even those of us who aren't
especially fond of the W3C, have no desire whatsoever to use SGML per
se.

Creative destruction and simplification is a necessary process.  We'll
go through this cycle again with XML at some point.  I don't see anyone
seriously expecting to return to SGML, except for a few folks who
already know SGML well.