Re: participating communities (was XML Blueberry)

David Carlisle scripsit:

> Quite. I thought open formats like XML were supposed to save us from
> these things (or at least reduce the risk). I would never use Word for
> any document I cared to keep for exactly this reason. I don't view my
> XMl files the same way.

Sure.  But there are real differences.  XML Blueberry only extends the
range of well-formed documents, and it can't really add obscurity
(more than is the case from using scripts you don't have fonts for).

> > But the EBCDIC mapping table correctly maps CR to CR, LF to LF, and NEL
> > to NEL.  They have distinct functions on IBM systems: it's just that
> > NEL is the plain text line ending character.
> >

> If they really have different functions then IBM is better served by the
> status quo, where you can have CR and NEL as distinguished characters in
> XML data.

I don't say that they have different functions *in XML*.

One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter