RE: Well-formed Blueberry

Elliotte Rusty Harold suggested:

> I still haven't been convinced of the need for Blueberry,
> but I do want to propose something in the event this goes
> through:
>
> I think there's a way to limit the damage this does to the
> existing infrastructure. Whatever the eventual identifier is
> chosen for Blueberry (version="1.1", unicode="3.1", etc.)
> I think it should be a *fatal error* to use this identifier in
> a document that does not actually use any of the newly
> introduced characters in an XML name somewhere.
>
> In other words, if a document can be an XML 1.0 document,
> it must be an XML 1.0 document.
>
> This would prevent the vast majority of users who are never
> going to use or even think about Khmer, Amharic, the extra
> Japanese characters, etc. from pointlessly generating
> incompatible documents just because "it's the latest version."

How do you propose to do this without burdening parsers with a huge wall
table?

And why? Is the Blueberry proposal liable to make a directional branch in
the development of XML that you think is undesirable, or perhaps too early?

Cheers,

Joel Rees
programmer -- rees@mediafusion.co.jp
To be a tree supporting all information,
  giving root to the chaos
    and branches to the trivia,
      information breathing anew --
        This is the aim of Yggdrasill.
============================XML as Best Solution===
Media Fusion Co. ,Ltd.  株式会社メディアフュージョン
Amagasaki  TEL 81-6-6415-2560    FAX 81-6-6415-2556
    Tokyo TEL 81-3-3516-2566   FAX 81-3-3516-2567
                       http://www.mediafusion.co.jp