Re: XML under JDK 1.0 and spacecraft

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 02:33 pm, John Cowan wrote:
> Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> > http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010717/22/microsoft-java
>
> And here's the last paragraph of that article, which has nothing
> much to do with Java:
>
> # Microsoft, meanwhile, has recently begun developing a set of Internet
> # services, called .NET. based on another programming language, called
> # XML. The .NET strategy calls for selling a series of paid services
> # over the Internet that users can access on any computer device. This
> # could range from booking plane flights to buying concert tickets.
>
> XML, a programming language?

I was recently contacted by a pointential customer and had a dialog something
like this.

"We need help with this extreme language."

"What extreme language?"

"You know, XML - extreme markup language, we have a whole application written
iin it."

"You have an application written in XML?  Are you sure?"

"Yes, except for a few modules which are written in the UNIX programming
language."

"I see. UNIX programming language.  And who did this project?"

"<Name removed for legal cover-my-butness> consulting firm.  Took them three
months and cost up $1.2 million dollars. We have to maintain it now and we
are not really sure how it works."

"You mean it works?"

"Well not exactly, that's where you would come in."

"Whay can't the consulting firm support the project?"

"Because they are not in business anymore."

And I wonder why XML has a bad name among some on my clients.
And no, I did not take that business.

Rod Davison @ Critical Knowledge Systems Inc
rdavison@sprint.ca
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those
who can't.