Re: Blueberry is not "closed" (was: Closing Blueberry)

> A parser designed for XML 1.0 will do one of several things:

Your list was incomplete.  For example, there are at least "give a warning
and proceed" and "report a validity error and proceeed" options.  I'd suggest
either of those could be appropriate transition strategies.

> The preferred response is that it should stop at the XML declaration and
> say, "I don't know how to handle this."

"Fatal error" option.

> A less desirable response would be to ignore the declaration and proceed.

"ignore" option ... seems unwise to me, users will be mystified when
a blueberry-related error ("blueberror"? :) breaks something later.

> The least desirable response would be that the parser would only reject text
> known to be necessarily illegal in the combination of XML 1.0/UNICODE 2.0.

That seems to be a core conformance requirement for a parser that's
claiming to conform to the XML 1.0 specification; a parser that doesn't
do that has a bug.

- Dave