RE: building an object model of a XML schema

> However, I think this requires a big caveat -- that the generated
> objects are probably only a starting place for the real
> objects.

Yes, I think the generated objects represent the finest-grained level of
data access, on top of which layers of classes with higher-level
abstractions are built; efficiency could be concern, however. Now, it may be
possible to add information to a complex type that says 'treat this
atomically', so the generator knows that

<element name="point">
	<complexType>
		<sequence>
			<element name="x" type="decimal"/> <!-- ne number,
ne decimal -->
			<element name="y" type="decimal"/>
			<element name="unit">
				<simpleType>
					<restriction base="string">
						<enumeration value="mm"/>
						<enumeration value="in"/>
						<enumeration value="pica"/>
						<enumeration value="pt"/>
					</restriction>
				<simpleType>
			</element>
		</sequence>
	</complexType>
</element>
<!-- pause while fingers uncramp -->

needs to have some interface implemented that allows the data content of all
three children to be set at once. I could see that being useful. Yes, it
does require the schema author to have knowledge of the application, but
some applications developers do talk to data modelers, so it's not
inconceivable.