RE: Java/Unicode brain damage

I imagine that the current generation of parsers would have to be (in the cases where necessary) using some type of custom class for this, no?

It doesn't seem like something that would be all too difficult to write, if I were a team of Sun programmers...

As I see it, the characters in question are 2-wide...  perhaps...

-pseudo code follows-

private String uc;

private uChar(String c)
{
uc = c;
}

public static uChar uni(int escape)
{
 switch (escape)
 /*yeah, this would be a pain in the ass, but if you hard-coded this here, you could create said unicode string*/
 ex.
 case 1230
	return new uChar("...");
	break;