RE: Request: Techniques for reducing the size of XML instances

Plain old vanilla gzip compression works great. If transmitting XML over
HTTP (a very common use case), the HTTP spec explicitly permits compression
of content. You can include "Content-Encoding: gzip" as an HTTP header, and
achieve a high-level of compression (80%-90% in my experience) while still
fully conforming to the HTTP spec. The only downside is that many XML
messaging toolkits may not properly support this.