RE: Java/Unicode brain damage

I think I'm answering my own question, here. I just noticed the "UCharacter"
class in this library, which is "designed to be a generic code point
information source that handles surrogate pairs". The docs says it supports
Unicode 3.0.

I think folks looking for an immediate Java-based solution should check this
out. It's open source and uses the X open-source license.