RE: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX Filters forNamespaceProcessing)

On 31 Jul 2001 21:20:53 -0700, Aaron Skonnard wrote:
> On the contrary, consider the following XML schema definition and sample
> instance document:
>
> <!-- schema definition -->
> <s:schema xmlns:s="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
>     xmlns:tns="http://example.org/foo"
>     targetNamespace="http://example.org/foo"
>     elementFormDefault="qualified">
>   <s:element name="bar" type="s:string"/>
>   <s:complexType name="fooType">
>     <s:sequence>
>       <s:element name="bar" type="s:string"/>
>     </s:sequence>
>   </s:complexType>
>   <s:element name="foo" type="tns:fooType"/>
> </s:schema>
>
> <!-- instance -->
> <f:foo xmlns:f="http://example.org/foo">
> </f:foo>        |
> Even when everything is qualified, you still can't figure out which bar
> element this is just by looking at the QName and ignoring context (is it
> the global or local qualified bar element?).

This doesn't feel like the same problem to me - it feels like a bad case
of non-deterministic content modeling.  I thought XML Schema went to
great lengths to avoid that, but maybe this is legal.

Can't say it feels like a remotely good idea to me.