RE: ISO intellectual property (was Standards)

The W3C seems to think otherwise.  Note the
FAQ quoted earlier about deriving a work
from HTML and changing a few bits.  We may
have a different issue there; copyright vs
assertion of other rights in a copyrighted
document.  If I understand what you say,
then the W3C can't enforce those claims.

No matter how you slice it, XML is an
SGML subset.  That makes the reference
valuable.  If one actually did have to pursue
this, copyright violation would not be
the strongest case.   However, the assertions
in the copyright documents might be evidence.
As Snell said, it would fail the look and feel
test.  It is an SGML derivative.

Remember, we are debating hypotheticals to
determine the value of standards.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.