RE: ISO intellectual property (was Standards)

So, embrace and extend is not only legal, it is ethical, right, and should
be practiced
widely as long as one does not copy the contents of the web page or the help
file.
Since you seldom care, a simple legal looking letter protects that so it is
cheap to keep.

In answer to the questions:

o  Where should SAX live?  Anywhere.  It can't be protected (no legal
entity).

o  Of what value are standards vs specifications?  It totally
   depends on the perception of the content.  As to the concepts,
   there isn't much difference.  They can't be protected.

o  What is of value in IP?  Patents.  Get them as fast as
   you can on *anything* you can.  The cost of overturning a
   patent far outstrips the cost of getting it and therefore,
   as a simple business expedient, it has value and can be
   protected.

o  Of what value are standards organizations and consortia?
   Buy in.  They are free to take each others developments at will.
   Go with the gang that takes fastest.   What is theirs is yours
   and what is yours is yours if you don't submit it.

o  What should be corporate policy with regards to open
   development?  Openness is to be avoided strategically until
   after you field it.

   The risks of open development are simply too great
   if the value is in the patents or penetration.  Proprietary systems win
   except in cases where systems developed over open standards
   come down to the "last software standing" and in that case,
   it happens with the cooperation of the frat brothers who
   may or may not understand the outcome.  It is best to
   ensure your competitors cooperate themselves to bankruptcy.

The W3C is a frat house.  ISO isn't but only because
government types don't do drugs.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.